About Us: Roberts Chapel UMC
Roberts Chapel United Methodist Church is named for Rev. Edwin Roberts, the principle figure in the founding of the church back in 1841. Roberts is believed to have also been instrumental in the continuation of the church in subsequent decades, having donated a sizable financial gift dedicated to its future work. During that very first year of the church, records indicate that 180 persons were converted and became active members.
Ever since its founding in 1841, Roberts Chapel has held a prominent role in Jessamine County history. Located less than two miles from historic Camp Nelson, an important Civil War era Union Army depot, the existing church structure is reported to have served briefly during that time as an Army hospital.
After all these many years, the physical structure of the church remains remarkably well preserved. All of the brick work from the foundation to the tops of the windows is original. Damage from a tornado in 1965 required that a new roof structure and repair to the brick level above the window line be made.
Originally, the rear of the church interior embraced a balcony in which sat the slaves of members attending services. This balcony has long since been removed but the church still retains much of its quaint rural reverence symbolizing the pre-Civil War era in which it was first founded. On July 5, 1984, Roberts Chapel UMC was added to the National Register of Historic Places, a listing maintained and governed by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Today, Roberts Chapel UMC can be best described as a resurgent congregation of approximately fifty members, and characterized by a warm and receptive atmosphere. The church's Christ-centered ministry emphasis incorporates a traditional style of worship. The Holy Sacrament (Communion) is offered each Sunday for those who wish to participate.
Roberts Chapel provides a Sunday School for all ages along with a nursery for infants, toddlers, and pre-school children that also includes an outside play area. A covered dish fellowship luncheon is held immediately following the last Sunday of each month.